Monday, February 13, 2012

We awoke today to a 'skiff' of that cold white 'winter stuff' on the ground.  Brrrrr.  Fortunately it is mid-February and our winter so far has been mild, to say the least.  We have had many days in the 40's, several in the 50's, and lots of days in the mid 30's.  So we have had a very easy winter 'so far'.  If we can just make it through February, then spring will not be far behind.
Work on the Thornhill Mansion continues.  We now have all the 'floors' in place and have erected the 'dormer' on the third floor.  It is only glued in position.  Tomorrow, I will drill the holes for the dowel pegs, and 'peg' that part of the mansion.  I am so happy I chose to do a nail free construction.  At first I had my doubts, but it gives a wonderfully solid 'feel' to the mansion, and I dare say it could survive a hurricane.  Here are a few photos showing my 'pegging' construction method, and then of course, progress on the mansion itself. 












Tomorrow we will 'peg' the dormer and then the next step is to construct the roof.  So the mansion is slowly 'rising from the dust' and I am more anxious then ever to start the 'fun part' of decorating, and furnishing.  But I'm always getting ahead of myself.  First things must come first!!!  Ugh......menial labor.  Until the next time,  "don't make excuses, make progress". 

Dottye

5 comments:

  1. It's looking good! Aren't miniatures a lovely diversion from the cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. Yes, I seem to always have plenty of 'diversions' I can call on to take my mind off of Iowa winter weather. Therein lies the problem: what to do first. (ha) Thanks for your interest in The Thornhill Mansion's progress. Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  2. Hi Dotty,
    Nice work. I love the Thornhill , I actually though of purchasing that kit before I decided to go "scratch".
    Great idea using pegs for assembly. I used the same method on Dewell Manor and you won't be sorry!
    I can't wait to see more of your work.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Giac. I am so delighted to have your valued input. I liked the Thornhill because it is designed to be entirely closed up when not in 'use'. I built several houses 'from scratch', but they were at the beginning of my miniature obsession, and hence were not very detailed. They found new owners years ago. After oogling your magnificent work on Dewell Manor, I certainly have the 'bug' to do another 'scratch' construction. We will have to see how the Thornhill goes together. I will say that the 'instructions' from RealGoodToys leave much to be desired. They were xeroxed copies of probably a 5th generation original and the photos were illegible. I had to contact the company and they did e-mail me a PDF file with the original instructions. Were I not an architectural/mechanical draftsperson by trade, I think I would have had a very difficult time deciphering just how this mansion goes together. But, it is proceeding, and yes I am so very happy we 'pegged' the house. It is solid as a rock and I don't have to worry about encountering any metal that might interfere with my running wire and tape wire for electrification. Thanks again for your interest. I have commented several times on your blog, but they never seem to appear. So somewhere in cyberspace there are 'Dottye comments' floating around. The comments extolled your magnificent workmanship and incredible attention to detail. You are a wonderful artisan!!! I look forward to seeing more of Dewell Manor. It is truly a work of art!
    Sincerely
    Dottye

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened, no updates since early 2012?

    ReplyDelete