Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas has come and gone for another year, and I must say it is relief to have it all behind me.  I look forward to the new year and completing some projects I have already started, and anticipate my venture into once again building dollhouses.  All of the dollhouses I have built in the past have been either given away to deserving little girls, or sold (mostly the former). 

When I was an 8 year old child, my father built me a dollhouse for Christmas.  During those early years, our family pretty much lived from month to month.  With three growing children to take care of and support, there was little money left each month for frivolity.  However, those were the 'good old days' and fruit and produce came to the grocery stores in 'orange crates' which were wooden half boxes with solid wooden ends and sides and bottoms of wooden slats.  Usually the ends contained a colorful printed label denoting the contents of the crate.  They were usually discarded by the grocer.  This particular Christmas, of 1949, my father saved and salvaged numerous orange crates from the the local stores and constructed a dollhouse for me for Christmas.  It was HUGE.  It probably measured 40+ inches across, was approximately 30" deep, and from the floor to the roof apex was approximately 28".  It was so sturdily constructed that I could sit on the top and dangle my legs down the open back with no fear of damage.  The floors were all 'carpeted' with wool remnants from my mother's sewing scraps.

  The arched 'doorways' were lovely, and the 'arch pieces'' that were removed from the hole cut for the doorways were used as headboards and footboards for two beds he built to grace the bedrooms.  Here are recent photos of those much cherished beds.  You will note that as an 8 year old, my idea of decorating furniture was a 'doggie' sticker on the end of each bed.







.  How I loved that house.  When I was 13, we relocated to California.  The dollhouse's size made it impossible to fit in the available space for moving on the truck.  So it was given to a little girl whose father was the pastor of the church we attended.  I have often wondered if she still has it, or if it became 'kindling' for the fireplace.  I can still see it in my mind's eye.  It was painted bright yellow with a hunter green painted roof and outside trim--garish colors, but beautiful to me!!

Here are a few photos of some of my past houses:






I am anxious to 'jump in' to my next venture in miniatures and build the Thornhill.  It will be a big project, but will be fun and rewarding to complete.  Although, one never truly 'finishes' a dollhouse.  There are always little 'tweeks' here and there that keep ones interest.  If you are interested in seeing what the "Thornhill" looks like, here is a link from the manufacturer. 


So, I have my work cut out for me.

Dottye

No comments:

Post a Comment