Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve already


Good grief, Christmas Eve is here already, and for once, I'm ready.  We have a lovely Christmas tree this year.  For years my husband, who is a wonderful musician, was on the road over Christmas and New Years.  So I never bothered to put up a tree for myself and the dogs.  Then when he got off the road, we usually spent Christmas at my parents lovely old Victorian home in Southern Illinois.  After both of my parents passed, I just didn't 'feel very Christmasy' so the tree and all of its wonderful trimmings sat in the basement.  This year I decided it was time to once again put up a Christmas tree.



As you can see, it conveys the 'feeling' of Christmas quite nicely.  It is trimmed with ornaments from years past.  The blown glass birds I inherited from my dear mother.  How she loved birds.  She painted them, fed them, became intimate with the hummingbird family that frequented her arbor in the summer time, and chased the squirrels away from the feeder in the winter so her 'beautiful cardinals' could have the suet and seeds she religiously put out for 'God's feathered creatures"..  The Victorian fans are some of my creations from 20 years ago.  They were made from folded ribbon and are still quite lovely.

I promised to post my latest Christmas Original today.  Several years ago, I created a line of clothing of my own design for children.  It is called "D'Vine D'Signs' by dottye  "Heavenly Couture for Children".  I love to design and sew for children.  The idea was to design and construct wonderful children's clothing that was sewn with couture and heirloom techniques, in lovely fabrics and trims.  The Christmas Ensemble below was created for a very special little girl.  Her grandmother is my best friend.  Little Isabella ('Bizzy Izzy' as she is fondly referred to), is one of the most charming 3-1/2 year olds I have ever known.  I must admit, and quite happily I might add, she is a 'drama queen' of incredible proportions.  Her life thus far has included being entertained by old Shirley Temple movies and the like.  Consequently, she dances and acts as if she were the latest little actress from MGM.  And act she does!!!!  She has the demeanor of Shirley Temple, but the original personality of  our 'Bizzy Izzy'.  It would be difficult to find a more charming child!! 








"Bizzy Izzy and Santa" 2011
  Now back to the actual Christmas Ensemble shown above.  It includes a Victorian dress with lined velveteen bodice and taffeta skirt with organza/tulle underskirt; a 'Fantasy Fur' party jacket, a faux silver fox hat and matching muff, and the "pièce de résistance"-- a custom designed garment bag with coordinating padded satin hangar.  It was a joy to design and construct such a beautiful Christmas ensemble for such a lovely little girl.

Our weather in Iowa has been unseasonably 'warm' for this time of year.  The sun is shining brightly this Christmas Eve morning, and the sky is cloudless and a lovely shade of blue.  Even the weather seems to be cooperating in the 'Spirit of Christmas'.  So, now that Christmas is appropriately on my new 'blog', I will wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

 Dottye







No comments:

Post a Comment