Sunday, February 19, 2012

I arose this morning determined to get the gable constructed on the Thornhill roof and the top hinged.  I accomplished both, and must say it is beginning to look like a Federal home.  This was also the ideal time to draw the 'shingle' row lines on the roof, and that was also completed.  I am not going to install the 'trim' on the gable until much later in the project.  The instructions on this purchased 'kit' call for a stucco exterior with quoins.  However, I hope to brick my Thornhill with individual bricks.  I will have to see if the thickness of the bricks (which I believe is 1/16") will make any difference in the fit of the windows and doors, and if there will be major 'tweaks' involved if I go the individual brick route.  But that is my goal.  Here are the pictures.  I do have to construct a 'prop' of some type that will hold the roof up when one wants to access the attic rooms.  But, as per Scarlett O'Hara, "I'll think about that tomorrow."





So, I suppose the next thing is to hinge the rest of the opening panels (one in the front and one in the rear, and one on each end), and then begin to shingle the roof.  I also forgot to apply shellac to the roof pieces before I began constructing the roof.  So, I must do that tomorrow, without fail!!  The shellac/denatured alcohol mixture, when applied, prevents moisture from warping the wood during construction, and after completion.  So it is something I cannot and must not avoid doing.  Also, in my haste to get a roof on the mansion, I neglected to 'square off' the door openings on the two attic partitions.  However, that is a minor thing, and I will do that tomorrow.  Note to self:  REMEMBER TO SQUARE OFF ALL OPENINGS IN ALL OTHER PARTITIONS AND APPLY SHELLAC MIXTURE TO ALL SURFACES!!!.  Now, if I only read my own notes, I will be fine. 

It is time to relax a little after a long day's work.  There is a special on PBS coming up in a few minutes titled "The Queen's Castles".  It is all about Windsor Castle.  There will also be a wonderful portion of the show devoted to Queen Mary's Dolls' House.  It is the most spectacular doll house (if one can refer to such a magnificent item as a 'doll house').  If you check my 'Favorite Links', there is a link to this doll house with all of the photos.  I have seen it in person, and the design, workmanship, craftsmanship, and quality of the furnishings is beyond comparison.  So, do check out the link.

Until next time, the weather is wonderful, I have a roof on the Thornhill, and I still have a little energy left after today to do a little quilting.  Life is good.

Dottye

No comments:

Post a Comment