Wednesday, February 22, 2012

While waiting for Chuck 'square up' all of the openings on the room partitions, I thought I would post a wee bit relative to how I use my skills in sewing and fibre arts in my dollhouses.  I LOVE to sew, and am an accomplished quilter. When I saw what passed as 'bedding' on the miniature market, I just knew I could do better.  So I began by making miniature pieced quilts and comforters.  I found that cotton muslin and calico is far to heavy for miniature bedding.  It does not drape easily, and looks a bit 'stiff' when installed on a bed.  The solution was to use a fabric that had a drapeable hand and a soft feel.  I chose haboti silk, and it lends itself wonderfully to hand sewing and finishing.  There are few examples of my work in my 'miniature stash'.  I have given away and sold with other dollhouses many pieces of silk bedding and quilts that were made before the digital camera, and hence there are no photos.  I do have one of my very first silk twin bed ensembles that I determined was not quite 'up to snuff' as far as quality of workmanship.  The photos are below (all pieces DO have square corners.  They just look a little 'off' in the photos because of the positioning.) 





















The ensemble consists of two bottom bed sheets, one embellished top bed sheet w/matching pillowcase and pillow, and one comforter.  Also shown in the picture are several hand made pillows (incidentally all pillows are filled with REAL down), and several plain pillowcases.

I have since done many 1:12 scale bedding pieces and found that searching the 'Thrift Stores' for 100% silk neckties yields some incredible teeny tiny silk prints that can be used for quilts, comforters, fabric linings for hat boxes, curtains, and upholstery.  So I have amassed quite a 'stash' of wonderful designer silks from neck ties.  Some of them have linings that have the design logo woven into the silk (i.e. Oleg Cassini, Versace, etc.)  I also scavenge these  linings from the ties for use as linings in hat boxes, luggage, etc.  A little 'designer touch' is always welcome in my creations.

Silk damask also makes lovely dining room tablecloths w/matching napkins.  They all must be hand sewn with extra fine thread so they appear to scale.  Machine sewing, for the most part is not compatible with 1:12" scale.  Hopefully, I will have some time in the next few weeks to finish up a few more bedding sets that show up much better than the one above.

So, that's my bit of palaver for today.  Hopefully tomorrow we will get the partitions in the Thornhill and the hinged panels attached.  The kit instructions call for a stucco finish, but I plan on using the Magic Mortar Brick system to 'brick' the Thornhill.  It is more in keeping with the Federal style.  So, I will want to have all of the panels attached before applying the 'brick' so that all rows will align properly.

So until the next time,  'Think Miniature', it's so much fun!!

Dottye

4 comments:

  1. Your bedding is gorgeous, Dottye! Love your attention to detail. The silk tie idea is one that I will file away for future use!

    I know how to sew, but haven't done anything in miniature before, unless you count the sleeping bag I made for my G.I. Joe when I was ten! But today some silk arrived for my first set of drapes, so wish me luck!

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John for your compliments. However, this particular set is not my best work. I will get some others made for the Thornhill that are much finer.

      Just one 'hint' about working with silk. Number one, if you plan on using pins for positioning, etc, then make a very small investment and go to a fabric store and purchase 'silk pins'. If you use regular 'pins' they will leave 'holes' in your silk. Silk, unlike polyester, has no 'memory'. So, when you put a pin hole in silk, it stays there for eternity. Silk pins, if used for very temporary use, will not leave holes.

      Second, always TEST any liquid such as glue, hair spray, dye, etc. on the silk before using it on your 'for real' project. I have not found a glue that will not leave a nasty stain on silk. Hair spray, to hold your drape pleats, will be o.k. if it is applied so that ALL of the silk is uniformly moistened by the spray. If you just "spritz" the hair spray onto the silk, it will usually leave micro 'spots' of hair spray.

      Wish I was closer to help you 'sew' your drapes. If you need silk in the future, let me know. I can send you 'swatches' of what is in my 'stash' and if you like any of my stash, I would be more than happy to share.

      Must go and get a few 'menial labor' jobs done. Ugh.

      Peace and love,

      Dottye

      Delete
  2. Hello Dotty!
    B E A U T I F U L !
    I think your work is absolutely beautiful. Thank you SO much for sharing your knowledge about different types of fabrics to use in miniature! It really halps to have an artist with experience guide you!
    Thinking Miniature RULES!
    Have a great evening Dotty,
    Big,big Giac hug,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giac, thanks again for your nice words. As I mentioned, this ensemble is NOT my best work. At present, I am working on a down comforter for one of the bedrooms in the Thornhill. Instead of 'quilting' it, I am using French knots spaced at a 1:12 scale so that the comforter will be 'tufted'. I like the look. The sheets will have some very fine Franch lace (not like the cotton trim that is on the ones in the picture). The trim in the photos is too heavy for the silk. Over the years I have learned by trial by error. (lots of errors LOL)

    Hope your day is beautiful and filled with wonderful ideas and love.

    Dottye

    ReplyDelete